There are a lot of things that you might not realize can affect your health at home. One thing that is often overlooked is high indoor humidity. Indoor humidity levels should be below 50% to maintain good air quality and avoid mold, but many homes have much higher levels due to the humidity from showers or cooking. Here are 5 major problems you face when dealing with unhealthy humidity levels in your home.
1. High humidity increases airborne chemical contaminants:
High humidity levels in the home can lead to higher concentrations of chemicals from household products and cooking. These include substances like formaldehyde, a known carcinogen that causes asthma symptoms when present at high enough levels.
Avoiding breathing in the contaminants from high humidity is a good first step to decreasing respiratory issues. If you have an air conditioner, using it while cooking and taking showers can help reduce indoor humidity levels. Also, setting up fans around the home will circulate fresh air through your house rather than trapping moisture inside!
2. Mold growth:
Mold growth is another problem that can occur when indoor humidity levels are high. Molds themselves aren’t directly harmful, but the spores they release into the air may cause respiratory problems for those with allergies or asthma. If you know you have a mold issue in your home, make sure to get it taken care of right away before it becomes worse!
Mold can grow in several places around the home, including under flooring and on walls. It’s important to make sure you inspect your home regularly for any signs of mold, especially if it is humid in your area!
If you have respiratory issues or allergies that seem worse when indoors, high humidity could be part of what’s causing them. Make sure to examine your home for both mold growth and indoor chemical contaminants!
Condensation can cause several damages to your home, and it will only get worse the more humid it is. Liquids like water from humidity can seep into walls and floors, causing rot and mold growth if not taken care of quickly enough! Make sure you fix any leaks around your house as soon as they happen to avoid this!
If you think your home is too humid and want to lower the levels, consider adding an air conditioner or dehumidifier. These appliances can help control humidity at a specific time of day when they’re turned on! However, it’s important to note that if your house gets too cold this way, mold growth may become worse, and you can end up with respiratory issues. Talk to an expert about the best way to control humidity without causing further damage!
4. Bacteria and viruses’ growth:
Bacteria can also grow more easily when humidity levels are high. This is because bacteria need moisture to survive. If the humidity in your home stays too high for an extended time, you’ll likely have bacterial growth occurring on surfaces! If this happens, be sure to disinfect everything with any potential exposure- including door handles, faucets, and anything else you might have touched.
If your home is too humid for an extended time due to the weather or any other reason, be sure to clean regularly with disinfectant wipes to avoid build-up bacteria! If your family has respiratory issues like allergies or asthma, you must keep the air clean to avoid worsening their symptoms.
5. Allergens increase:
When humidity levels are too high, it can cause an increase in dust mites and other allergens. If you have allergies or asthma, this may be especially problematic for your health! Dust mites thrive in humid environments since they need water to survive, so if the air is full of moisture, there’s a good chance that these tiny creatures will begin to grow.
If your home is too humid for an extended period, you may want to consider investing in a dehumidifier. These appliances can help reduce humidity and make the air more breathable again- though it’s important to note that they won’t stop allergens like dust mites from forming completely. Make sure you regularly clean to avoid these! You can also invest in an air purifier to be sure the air you’re breathing is safe for everyone in your home.
Remember, high levels of indoor humidity can cause many problems for your home and health. Make sure you’re aware of the risks and take steps to control humidity levels. Looking for information on combatting the humidity in your home? Let Hoot help! Contact us today.